Förra helgen var det beachen som gällde. Denna gång blir det något helt annat. Vi kommer att åka norrut till Kentucky. Kentucky som är känt för hästar och som kallas the blue grass state. Kentucky fried chicken är också något jag tänker på då jag tänker på denna stat. Tydligen är KY också känt för sin Burbon. Här finns många olika destillerier man kan åka till.
Vi kommer att åka till Mammoth Cave som är en av USA:s stora nationalparker. Mammoth Cave har världens längsta grottsystem med en total längd på 59 svenska mil. Eftersom det är så stort och många av valven så stora fick de just namnet Mammoth Cave. Grottor har jag alltid tyckt varit lite häftiga. De är ju både spektakulära och vackra med alla olika formationer av stalaktitet och stalagmiter. De äldsta delarna av Mammoth Cave är ca 10 millioner år gamla. Fortfarande hittas nya gångar och grottor.
Vi kommer att gå på en guidad visning som är på 2 timmar och som är på 3.2 kilometer. Vi kommer att guidas 91 meter ner i avgrunden inne i berget och gå ned och uppför över 440 trappsteg. Jag tror detta kommer att bli rikigt spännande och häftigt. Nere i grottan råder samma klimat och temperatur året runt så man får nog klä på sig lite eftersom temperaturen kommer att ligga på runt 10 grader celcius.
På vägen hem hoppas vi få möjlighet att ta en liten tur genom en annan nationalpark nämligen Great Smokey Mountains. Får se om vi får syn på några björnar för det ska det finnas här. Vill helst inte se dem på allt för nära avstånd.
Ha en riktigt skön Labor Day alla ni som bor i USA och ha en trevlig helg alla ni andra.
Jag tänkte att ni som bor i USA eller har bott i USA skulle få lite rolig helgläsning. Här har jag satt ihop min alldeles egna lista på vad som är typiskt amerikanskt. Man ska nog ta den lite med glimten i ögat som man ska göra med sådana här listor. Ideén kom jag på när jag läste en sådan här lista som någon Australienare hade skrivit om Sverige och det var ganska underhållande. So here goes:
1. It has become natural to eat without using a knife.
2. When everything in Europe seems small and everything in the US seems to be regular size.
3. When you have stopped thinking or even asking about a glass when drinking beer. When you prefer to drink out of the bottle or can directly.
4. When you take your car everywhere even when going to the shop next door.
5. When you think gas prices in the US are EXPENSIVE.
6. When you think it is necessary to fill your drink with as much ice as possible.
7. When you answer I am fine thank you even if you are dying if someone asks you how you are.
8. When you find it normal to have two or more Christmas trees.
9. When you decorate your Christmas tree with so many decorations you can hardly see the tree.
10. When Christmas decorations means covering your entire yard with Christmas stuff and lights.
11. When you think of Christmas as the 25: th of December instead of the 24: th.
12. When you think Swedes have way too much vacation.
13. When it is necessary to always have your TV on when you are home no matter what.
14. When having less than 3 TVs is too little.
15. When you understand most of the rules of football or baseball.
16. When football is football and not soccer to you in your mind.
17. When you have at least 10 different credit cards.
18. When Swedish coffee has become too strong and you have started to like decaf- hazelnut coffee.
19. When you stop converting dollars into your native currency.
20. When you start using degrees Fahrenheit, inches, yards, pounds ect and they have meaning to you.
21. When you feel it is necessary to have more than 50 channels on your TV.
22. When you buy a god bless America sticker for your car.
23. When you prefer the God bless America plates on your car.
24. You prefer to eat your lunch alone in front of your computer.
25. When a “fika” at work seems like a waste of time.
26. When a Nissan Armada or Hummer seems like a normal size car.
27. When a sandwich for lunch seems like a very good lunch. And perhaps also the small bag of potato chips to come along with the sandwich.
28. When you stop using your blinker when driving.
29. When multitasking in the car seems normal like reading the paper, eating or applying makeup.
30. When your phone is glued to your hand while driving and you make all your phone calls from the car.
31. When cheese means a yellow squared slab of something without taste.
32. When buying cheese over the counter seems exotic.
33. When seeing a person on a bike has become exotic.
34. When you find it normal that stores are open 24 hours and that service on a Sunday is normal.
35. When a light beer means fewer calories and not less alcohol.
36. When you find it normal that people keep their cap on while eating at a restaurant.
37. When you have to get your nails done each week at the nail salon.
38. When you find it natural to tip the hairdresser and you know how much to give.
39. When you prefer sweet tea instead of unsweetened tea.
40. When tea means ice tea rather than hot tea.
41. You wonder how you ever lived without wall to wall carpeting.
42. You use a blower rather than a rake when collecting leafs.
43. You find it normal to fill your garbage can so the lid can hardly can close twice each week.
44. When you call the doctor as soon as you even detect a slight fever or cold.
45. When having a cold for more than two days you feel you need to go and get a shot.
46. You can throw a plastic bottle away without having a guilty conscience.
47. When using bleach has become as necessary as using detergent when doing your laundry.
48. When macaroni and cheese looks yummy.
49. When you have had two beers and jump into the car without even thinking about it.
50. You find it natural that the month is written before the date.
51. When using PM and AM has become more normal than using 24-hours.
52. When you have started to actually like the frosting/icing on cakes.
53. When pants are no longer too short when they end right above your ankle.
54. When you know the definition of “mom jeans”.
55. Whenever you invite people over the TV has to be on.
56. The TV has to be huge and it has to be placed in the great room.
57. You don’t find it strange that sales tax is always added on top of the price listed on the price tag in the store.
58. You think shoe racks should only be used in places where there is lots of snow.
59. When going to the toilet it is normal to continue the conversation with your friend in the booth next to you.
60. It is normal to have a haircut every 5 weeks even if you have long hair.
61. When going to the hairdresser it is normal to have at least 3 persons working on your hair, one cutting it, one blow-drying it and one washing it.
62. Furniture should be big and dark.
63. Drugs not only mean illegal drugs but also refer to medicine.
64. Drinking on regular weekdays doesn’t make you into an alcoholic.
65. You listen to and understand Howard Stern and find him funny.
66. You enjoy Satellite radio and you know what satellite radio is.
67. You enjoy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and known the meaning of expression like PB&J.
68. You find it normal that the majority of people attend church on Sundays and Wednesdays.
69. It is normal that people have indoor dogs as well as indoor cats. You don’t have to walk small dogs. It is ok to only walk your dog for 5 minutes.
70. You expect and find it totally normal that someone packs your groceries for you at the supermarket using at least 10 to 20 plastic bags.
71. You consider getting a van as a second car.
72. You would not dream about having less than 2 cars.
73. Fried means deep-fried to you.
74. You use the drive thru and it feels normal.
75. You would not consider going out and eating if there was no such thing as the doggy bag.
76. The master bedroom always has a separate master bathroom.
77. New Year celebration does not seem that important any longer, it is ok to go to bed at 10 pm and miss the whole thing, celebrating 4:th of July is much more important.
78. You feel it might be ok to mix everything in the trash such as paper, glass, metal ect
79. Of course the new house comes with light fixtures and curtains. It is totally ok that the curtains don’t match any of your furniture or colors at all.
80. You don’t find it strange that you can buy fully furnished houses.
81. You have become a member of either Costco or Sam’s Club or both.
82. You have a TV that is over 40 inches in size.
83. You walk with your shoes inside without minding taking them off any longer.
84. You own a huge American flag.
85. You look forward to the firecrackers on 4th of July celebration.
86. Vacation means 3 to 5 days not 3 to 5 weeks as in Sweden.
87. You buy and use scented candles and air fresheners like Febreeze.
88. You expect the mail to be delivered on Saturdays as well.
89. You own at least one pair of Crocks and just love them.
90. Men wearing small swimwear (Speedos or less, anything that goes above the knee) are either considered to be gay or European.
91. When you have fallen in love with doughnuts from Krispy Kreme.
92. When your favorite at Starbucks is a Frappuchino.
93. You constantly carry around a large soda with lots of ice wherever you go.
94. You know what Twinkies are and you love eating them.